Bedtime Forgotten
Bedtime Forgotten
4 Sept 2026
The heat was the first thing I noticed when I stepped out of the school building. Not the dry, dusty heat of early August, but the thick, suffocating heat of September in North Texas—the kind that wrapped around you like a wet blanket and made the air itself feel heavy. The parking lot shimmered in the late afternoon sun, and the walk to my RAV 4 felt like wading through soup.
I'd been fine all day. Busy. The kind of busy that left no room for anything else—back-to-back classes, a department meeting during my prep period, a parent email that required three drafts before I hit send. The new curriculum standards were still a mess, but I'd found a rhythm. The students were settling in. The fog that had plagued me all week had lifted, replaced by the sharp focus that came from a full night's sleep.
But now, walking across the asphalt with my tote bag digging into my shoulder, the focus was starting to crack.
My brain shifted. It happened all at once, like a switch flipping. One moment I was thinking about the stack of essays in my bag, the ones I'd promised to grade by Monday. The next moment I was thinking about him. About the way he'd looked at me that morning. About the words he'd said before he left for work.
We'll handle it after work.
The heat pressed down on me, and I felt a different kind of warmth bloom in my chest. Not the pleasant warmth of anticipation. Something sharper. Something that made my stomach clench and my palms go damp against the strap of my tote bag.
I'd forgotten.
That was the thing. I'd genuinely forgotten. He'd told me 10:30, and I'd nodded, and then I'd gone downstairs and lost myself in a book—a hilarious, "mostly true" memoir —and when I'd finally looked up at the clock, it was 11:07. I'd come running up the stairs, my heart pounding, hoping he was still awake. But he'd been asleep. And then he'd woken up, looked at the clock, and mumbled something that made my blood run cold.
What happened at 10:30?
I stood there in the dark, my mouth open, no words coming out. Because there were no words. I'd forgotten. Plain and simple. The fatigue had been so bad all week—the yawning, the foggy brain, the mistakes that kept piling up—and he'd noticed. Of course he'd noticed. He noticed everything.
We'll talk about it tomorrow, he'd said. And then he'd rolled over and gone back to sleep.
I'd lain awake for awhile, staring at the ceiling fan, my heart still racing. The book was good. That was the worst part. I'd been enjoying myself, lost in someone else's story, while the clock ticked past the deadline he'd set for my own good.
The drive home was a blur. I don't remember the turns or the traffic or the way the sun slanted through the windshield. I remember the heat. I remember the way my hands gripped the steering wheel. I remember the knot in my stomach growing tighter with every mile.
The gravel road crunched under my tires. The mailbox appeared. The fence line. The barn, has some boards that need replacing, the donkey's ears visible over the paddock gate. Home.
I pulled into the garage and killed the engine. Sat there for a moment, my hands still on the wheel, my heart pounding in my throat. The garage was hot, the air thick and still. I could hear the distant sound of the chickens in the yard, the low bray of the donkey. Normal sounds. Everyday sounds. But everything felt different now, charged with the knowledge of what was waiting for me inside.
I grabbed my tote bag and my lunch bag from the passenger seat. Stepped out of the car. The garage floor was warm under my flats, and I walked through the mudroom door, letting it close behind me with a soft click.
The mudroom was cool and dim. I set my tote bag in the cubby by the door, hung my keys on the hook, and toed off my flats. The tile was cold against my bare feet, a small relief after the heat of the garage. I stood there for a moment, listening. The house was quiet. Too quiet.
I carried my lunch bag into the kitchen.
He was standing at the counter, his back to me, pouring water into two glasses. The ice clinked against the sides. His shoulders were broad under his work shirt, the fabric stretched tight across his back. He didn't turn around when I walked in, but I saw his head tilt slightly, acknowledging my presence.
"Hi," I said. My voice came out small.
He turned then, and his face was calm. Not angry. Not cold. Just calm, in that way he had when he'd made up his mind about something and was waiting for me to catch up. He crossed the kitchen in two steps, set one of the glasses on the counter beside me, and leaned down to kiss me.
His lips were warm. Brief. A greeting, not a promise.
"Hi," he said. And then he picked up his own glass and walked into the living room.
My eyes followed him.
The living room was dim, the curtains half-drawn against the afternoon sun. The couch sat in its usual spot, the coffee table in front of it. And on the coffee table, centered perfectly on the dark wood, was the bath brush.
My breath stopped.
The bath brush was different from the hairbrush. Longer handle. Wider back. The kind of implement that belonged in a spa, not on a coffee table. But there it was, waiting for me, its pale wood gleaming in the low light.
I set my lunch bag down on the counter. My hands were shaking. I walked into the living room and stood before him, my arms at my sides, my eyes fixed on the brush.
He sat down on the couch. Leaned back. Took a sip of his water.
"Lisa," he said.
I looked at him.
"I'm disappointed."
The words hit me like a physical blow. I felt my face flush, felt the heat rise in my cheeks. Disappointed. That was worse than angry. Anger I could handle. Anger was hot and quick and burned itself out. But disappointment was cold. Disappointment lingered.
"I know," I whispered.
"Do you?" He set his glass down on the coffee table, next to the brush. "Do you understand why I asked you to go to bed at 10:30?"
"Because I've been tired." The words came out small. "Because I've been making mistakes."
"Because you've been running yourself into the ground." His voice was steady, patient. "You've been yawning all week. Your brain is foggy. You're making mistakes at work, at home. And last night, when I gave you a simple instruction—go to bed early, drink some tea, take care of yourself—you forgot."
"I didn't mean to—"
"I know you didn't mean to." He leaned forward, his elbows on his knees. "That's not the point. The point is that you were so tired, so foggy, that you couldn't remember a simple instruction given to you an hour before. That's not just a mistake, Lisa. That's a sign that something is wrong."
I stared at the floor. The wood was warm under my bare feet, the grain familiar. I'd stood in this exact spot a hundred times, waiting for him to speak. But it never got easier.
"Your health matters," he continued. "Good sleep helps everybody. It helps you. It helps me. It helps the girls. It helps your friends, your students. When you don't take care of yourself, you're not just hurting yourself. You're hurting everyone who depends on you."
The tears were already building. I could feel them behind my eyes, hot and insistent. I blinked hard, trying to hold them back.
"I'm sorry," I said.
"I know you are." He stood up. "Strip."
The word landed like a command. Simple. Direct. No room for argument.
My fingers found the hem of my dress. Navy blue. Modest. The same dress I'd worn to work, the fabric soft and cool against my skin. I pulled it over my head, folded it carefully, and set it on the armchair beside the couch.
My bra came next. White. Simple. The front clasp opened easily, and I let the straps slide down my arms. I folded it and set it on top of the dress.
My panties were last. White cotton, nothing special. I hooked my thumbs into the waistband and pushed them down, stepping out of them, folding them, adding them to the pile.
I stood naked in the living room. The air was warm against my bare skin, and I shivered despite the heat.
He pointed toward the laundry room. "Put them in the hamper."
I walked through the kitchen, my bare feet silent on the tile. The laundry room was small, tucked behind the kitchen, with a washer and dryer and a white plastic hamper in the corner. I lifted the lid and dropped my clothes inside. The fabric rustled as it fell, and I stood there for a moment, staring at the pile of navy and white.
When I came back, he was standing by the couch. Waiting.
"Come here," he said.
I walked to him. His hands found my waist, guiding me, turning me, pulling me down across his lap. The couch cushion pressed against my stomach. My hips were raised over his thigh. My feet left the ground. My hands found the floor, palms flat against the hardwood.
His hand came to rest on my lower back.
"Deep breath," he said.
I breathed.
The first swat landed.
SMACK.
The sound echoed through the quiet living room, and the pain bloomed sharp and sudden across my right cheek. I gasped, my fingers pressing into the floor.
He didn't pause. Didn't let me adjust.
SMACK. SMACK. SMACK.
The rhythm was slow and deliberate, each swat landing with a force that made me grunt. His hand covered every inch of my bottom, left cheek then right, the heat building in layers. I squirmed. Kicked. My fingers pressed into the floor, searching for purchase.
"You need to take care of yourself," he said, his voice calm over the sound of his hand meeting my skin. "You need to sleep. You need to rest. You need to let your body recover."
SMACK. SMACK. SMACK.
"I know," I whimpered. "I know, I'm sorry—"
"I'm not doing this to punish you." His hand kept falling, steady and relentless. "I'm doing this to help you remember. To help you understand that your health is not optional. It's not something you can ignore when it's convenient."
SMACK. SMACK. SMACK.
The heat was building now, spreading from my bottom to my thighs, a deep, throbbing burn that made me gasp and squirm. The tears were falling freely, dripping onto the hardwood floor beneath my face.
"I'm sorry," I sobbed. "I'm so sorry—"
"I know you are." His hand paused, resting on my burning skin. "But sorry isn't enough. You need to do better. You need to take this seriously."
SMACK. SMACK. SMACK.
The spanking continued. Slow. Methodical. Each swat landing with precision, each one layering a new wave of heat on top of the last. I cried hard, my shoulders shaking, my voice breaking apart into incoherent pleas.
"Please—I'll do better—I promise—"
"I know you will." His hand kept falling. "Because I'm going to help you. Every time you forget. Every time you push yourself too hard. Every time you ignore what your body needs. I'll be here. Ready to remind you."
SMACK. SMACK. SMACK.
The tears were streaming down my face, mixing with the sweat on my skin. My bottom was a universe of fire, every nerve ending screaming. But underneath the pain was something else. Something softer. Something that felt like being held.
Finally, he stopped.
His hand rested on my burning skin, warm and heavy. Then he began to rub—slow, soothing circles across the fire, easing the sting, grounding me in the present.
"That's my girl," he murmured. "You did so well."
I sobbed into the floor, my body limp across his lap. The tears kept coming, hot and plentiful, and I let them fall. Let them wash away the guilt and the fear and the fog.
He let me cry. Let me breathe. Then he shifted, pulling me up, helping me stand.
My legs were unsteady. My bottom was a field of fire. I stood there, naked and trembling, my face wet with tears.
He stood too. Walked around to the back of the couch. The couch was tall, the back rising to just below my chest. He positioned me behind it, his hands on my hips, guiding me forward.
"Bend over," he said.
I bent. The top of the couch pressed against my stomach, the fabric rough against my bare skin. My feet left the ground, and I found myself on my tiptoes, my body stretched across the back of the couch, my bottom raised and exposed.
The position was different from over his knee. More vulnerable. More exposed. I couldn't see him, couldn't read his face. I could only feel the cool air against my burning skin and the rough fabric of the couch against my stomach.
His hand found the small of my back. Pressed down. Holding me in place.
I heard him pick up the bath brush.
The wood was cool against my skin when he pressed it against my bottom. A warning. A promise.
The first smack landed.
The sound was different from his hand—sharper, more focused, a crack that seemed to split the air. The pain was different too. It drove deeper, sank into the muscle, left a concentrated oval of fire that pulsed and spread.
I screamed.
The second smack landed before I could catch my breath. Then the third. The fourth.
He didn't pause between strokes. The bath brush fell like a drumbeat, each impact layering on top of the last. Left cheek, right cheek, center, sit spots. He covered everything, and he covered it fast enough that I couldn't think, couldn't breathe, couldn't do anything but feel.
The fifth smack. The sixth. The seventh.
I was sobbing now, my voice raw and broken. My fingers gripped the back of the couch, my knuckles white. My tiptoes scrabbled against the floor, searching for purchase, finding none.
The eighth. The ninth.
The pain was beyond anything I'd felt before. The bath brush was heavier than the hairbrush, wider, more brutal. Each stroke was a concentrated explosion of fire that left me gasping and shaking.
The tenth.
The final smack landed across the center of my bottom, right where the heat was most intense. I screamed—a high, desperate sound that seemed to come from somewhere outside myself—and then collapsed against the back of the couch, my body limp, my breath coming in ragged gasps.
The brush clattered to the coffee table.
His hands found my shoulders, lifting me, turning me, pulling me into his arms. I collapsed against his chest, my face wet, my body shaking with sobs. His arms wrapped around me, holding me close, and I felt his lips press against the top of my head.
"I've got you," he murmured. "It's over. You did so well."
I cried into his shirt, the fabric growing damp with my tears. The pain in my bottom was a living thing, pulsing and throbbing, but underneath it was something else. Something clean. Something that felt like forgiveness.
He held me for a long time. Let me cry. Let me shake. Let the sobs fade into hiccups and the hiccups fade into slow, shaky breaths.
"Go put on your pajamas," he said finally. "Then come downstairs. We're having dinner."
I pulled back, wiping my face with the back of my hand. My eyes were swollen, my nose running. I probably looked a mess. But he looked at me like I was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen.
"Okay," I whispered.
I walked upstairs on unsteady legs, my bottom throbbing with every step. The bedroom was cool and dim, the curtains drawn against the evening sun. I pulled open my dresser drawer and found my pajamas—soft cotton shorts and a matching top, pale blue with tiny white flowers. The fabric was gentle against my burning skin, and I winced as the shorts slid over my bottom.
When I came back downstairs, he was in the kitchen, pulling containers out of the refrigerator. Leftovers from the week—roast chicken, roasted vegetables, a container of rice. He heated everything in the microwave, the familiar beep filling the quiet kitchen.
We ate at the kitchen table. The chair was hard against my sore bottom, and I shifted uncomfortably, but I didn't complain. The food was warm and good, and I realized I was starving.
He didn't lecture. Didn't bring up the spanking or the bedtime or the mistakes. He just ate, and asked about my day, and listened when I told him about the essays I'd been grading and the student who'd asked a question that made the whole class laugh.
It was normal. Comfortable. The kind of dinner we'd had a thousand times before.
But underneath the normalcy was something else. The heat in my bottom. The memory of his hand. The knowledge that I was loved enough to be held accountable.
When we finished eating, he took my plate and rinsed it in the sink. I started to stand, but he shook his head.
"Bed," he said. "It's early, but you need the sleep."
I looked at the clock. 8:47. The sun was just setting, painting the kitchen in shades of orange and pink.
"But—"
"Lisa." His voice was gentle but firm. "Bed."
I nodded. Pushed myself up from the chair. Walked to him and wrapped my arms around his waist, pressing my face against his chest.
"Thank you," I whispered.
His arms came around me, holding me close. "For what?"
"For taking care of me. Even when I don't take care of myself."
He kissed the top of my head. "Always."
I pulled back, looked up at him. His eyes were soft, warm. The eyes of the man who'd held me through every hard thing we'd ever faced.
"I love you," I said.
"I love you too." He smiled. "Now go to bed. I'll be up in a little while."
I walked upstairs slowly, my hand on the railing, my bottom throbbing with every step. The bedroom was dark now, the last of the sunset fading from the sky. I climbed into bed, settling on my stomach, the sheets cool against my heated skin.
The house was quiet. The girls were out—Emma at Becca's, Sophie at a friend's house. It was just the two of us, and the silence was peaceful.
I closed my eyes. The pain in my bottom was a steady, grounding presence, a reminder of his hand and his voice and his love. The fog that had plagued me all week was gone, replaced by something soft and quiet.
Sleep came quickly. And for the first time in a long time, it came without dreams.
Single Guy
ReplyDeleteNo arguing !
No back talking !
Complete surrender !
Totally trusting !
Accepting accountability !
Unconditional Care !
It is hard to go to bed early.
DeleteMy husband went away for a few days and, while he was gone, I indulged in my happy ADHD place and ran around getting things done. What I didn't do was eat unless I was starving. I suppose that I have a "complicated relationship" with food. When he came home, I confessed to poor eating and the scale showed I had lost 4 lbs in 3 days. I received one of my first real discipline spankings for Failure of Self-Care as a result. Now I know to check the scale more often and if the number is inching south, I become more careful about my eating habits. I feel blessed to have a husband who wants the best for me and for us and whose care included several spankings to help me remember that I am a necessary participant in the health and well-being of our marriage.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh Annee,
DeleteI can tell you that two things will get me spanked no question. I don't take care of myself and I put myself or family at risk (safety).
I hope getting all the things done came with some praise. I can hear my hubby saying, "Gosh baby, you got all that done! Well done! However we need to talk about...." and he would also have us come up with a plan to correct it. Then my bottom would be sore as a reminder.
Hope your bottom starts to feel better and I am proud of you for telling him.
Hugs
- Lisa
Hey everybody.... I just wanted to let you know if you want to contact me.... email me at lisa1982jack50n@gmail.com
DeleteIf you do not feel comfortable sending me something on your email account then please message me on Similar Worlds at this website - https://similarworlds.com/ My user name is Lisa82
And lastly please if you are going to use an anonymous reply, come up with a cute pseudonym that you can sign off on. Like, Shy girl or something. Thanks.
I do not see your email or message on Similar Worlds
Delete