Wednesday - Day three

 Wednesday. Day three.

His truck pulled out of the garage and down the driveway at 7:42 AM, gravel crunching under the tires, and I stood at the kitchen window watching the red taillights disappear down the county road. The house settled into silence around me. No rooster crowing—I’d already let the chickens out. No donkey braying—he’d been fed at 6:15, his hay net stuffed full, his water trough scrubbed and refilled.


I’d been up since 5:30, moving through the barn while the sky was still that bruised purple-gray that comes just before dawn. The stalls needed mucking—really needed it, the kind of deep clean I’d been putting off for a week. The pitchfork was cold in my hands, the metal handle rough with rust. I worked methodically, forking soiled bedding into the wheelbarrow, the muscles in my shoulders and lower back burning with the familiar ache of honest labor.


The donkey watched me from his paddock, his big dark eyes tracking my movements. He brayed once, halfheartedly, when I paused to wipe the sweat from my forehead.


“Yeah, I know,” I muttered. “You’d rather be eating.”


The chickens were next. The coop needed a full refresh—fresh straw in the nesting boxes, the waterer scrubbed and refilled, the feeder topped off. I worked on my knees in the dry, dusty straw, the hens clucking around me, occasionally pecking at my boots. Their bodies were warm, their feathers soft, their small bright eyes curious.


By the time I finished, my jeans were stained with dirt and chicken shit, my hands were raw, and my lower back was singing. I stripped off my gloves and hung them on the hook by the barn door. The sun was fully up now, warm on my face, casting long shadows across the yard.


I walked back to the house, my boots heavy with mud. I kicked them off at the back door, left them on the mat, and padded inside in my sock feet.


The house was clean. I’d spent all Tuesday scrubbing every surface, mopping every floor, dusting every shelf. The living room still gleamed, the kitchen counters still shone, the bathroom sink still smelled of bleach and lemon. But there was laundry to do—a single load, whites and lights, the basket in the hallway half-full of towels and sheets.


I started the washer, measured the detergent, pressed start. The machine hummed to life, the water rushing, the drum beginning its slow rotation. I stood there for a moment, watching it through the little glass window, my hands braced on the machine’s cool metal top.


Then I opened my laptop.


School emails. I’d been ignoring them since the family left, letting them pile up in my inbox like unread promises. There were messages from the department head about fall scheduling. A reminder about the faculty meeting in a few weeks. A note from another teacher who wanted some help with developing a year at a glance, written in that careful, polite tone that didn’t sound sarcastic because I offered at the end of last year and now she is waiting until the last moment. .


I answered them one by one. My fingers moved automatically, the words forming without conscious thought. Thank you for reaching out. I’d be happy to discuss his progress. Let me know what time works for you. The scheduling email got a more thoughtful response.


The last email was from a colleague, asking if I’d be willing to mentor the new Calculus teacher they’d hired for the fall. I paused, my fingers hovering over the keyboard. A new teacher. Someone young, probably, fresh out of grad school, full of idealism and energy. I remembered being that person—the nervous excitement, the carefully planned lessons, the realization that nothing prepared you for the reality of thirty teenagers in a room.


I typed: I’d be honored. Tell her to email me.


I hit send and closed the laptop.


The washer beeped, signaling the end of the cycle. I transferred the load to the dryer, added a sheet, pressed start. The machine hummed, and I stood in the laundry room, listening to the rhythmic thump of wet fabric tumbling.


My phone buzzed.


I pulled it out of my pocket. His name on the screen.


What do you want for dinner?


I leaned against the dryer, the vibration of the machine humming through my lower back. My thumbs hovered over the keyboard. I don’t know. What are you in the mood for?


The response came quickly. Greek. The place downtown. I’m craving their lamb platter.


I smiled, kind of grateful that I was not cooking. I knew the place—a small restaurant tucked between a dry cleaner and a vape shop, run by a Greek family who’d been there since before we moved into the neighborhood. The owner’s wife always remembered our order. The lamb was tender, the rice pilaf perfectly seasoned, the tzatziki so thick and garlicky it made your eyes water.


Sounds perfect, I typed. What time?


Five. I’ll be home by 4:30. Be ready.


The last two words hung in the air. I stared at them, my thumb tracing the edge of the phone. Be ready. I knew what that meant.


I typed: I will.


He didn’t respond. I tucked the phone back into my pocket and pushed myself off the dryer.


The rest of the afternoon stretched out before me. I ate lunch standing at the kitchen counter—leftover pork chop from Tuesday, sliced thin and laid over a handful of arugula, dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. I ate without tasting, my mind elsewhere, my body already anticipating what was coming.


After lunch, I reached for my Bible.


It was still on the end table where I’d left it Tuesday afternoon. I opened it to Ephesians, the pages falling open to chapter five. I’d been thinking about this passage all week—the verses about submission and love, about husbands and wives, about the mystery of marriage that Paul described with such careful, reverent language.


I read slowly, letting the words settle into my bones.


Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior.


I’d read this passage a hundred times. Wrestled with it in Bible study, debated it with friends, preached it to myself in moments of doubt and defiance. But sitting here now, in the quiet afternoon light, with the welts from Tuesday still tender against the chair, the words felt different.


Submit. The word had never felt heavy to me. Not really. Not when it was tied to the man I loved, the man who held me when I broke, who fed the cows and fixed the fence and kissed my forehead after he’d reduced me to sobs.


But the next verse caught my attention.


Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.


Gave himself up. That was the part I’d always glossed over. The sacrifice. The laying down of self. My husband gave himself up for me every time he picked up that belt, every time he forced himself to deliver strokes he hated delivering because he knew I needed them. He gave himself up in the barn, in the garden, in the long hours of work that kept our family fed and our house standing.


I closed the Bible and pressed my palm to the worn leather cover.


Pray about it, he’d said Monday, when he handed me the blank page and the pen. Pray about it if you think it would help.


I bowed my head. The words came slowly, haltingly, like water finding its way through rock.


Thank you for this man. Thank you for his patience, his strength, his willingness to lead even when it costs him. Thank you for the way he loves me—not gently, not softly, but fully, with everything he has. Help me to receive that love. Help me to trust it. Help me to surrender the parts of myself I still hold back.


I opened my eyes. The light had shifted, the afternoon sun slanting through the window at a lower angle. I checked my phone.


4:15.


I stood, my legs stiff from sitting. My bottom ached—a deep, grounding throb that had been with me all day, a constant reminder of Monday and Tuesday and the unfinished work of Wednesday.


I walked to the bedroom.


The pillows were still arranged on the bed from Tuesday night. I’d left them there, knowing I’d need them again. I straightened them now, adjusted the stack, made sure the slope was even. The duvet was folded at the foot of the bed. The curtains were drawn, casting the room in a soft, muted light.


I stripped.


My shirt came off first, then my bra, then my jeans, then my panties. I folded each piece and set it on the chair in the corner. The air was cool against my bare skin. Goosebumps rose on my arms, my thighs, the curve of my stomach.


I climbed onto the bed and positioned myself.


Waist over the pillows. Hips lifted. Back arched. Face turned to the side, cheek pressed to the cool sheet. Hands gripping the fabric on either side of my head.


I closed my eyes and breathed.


The minutes crawled. I heard the dryer buzz—the laundry was done. I heard the refrigerator hum downstairs.


Then I heard the garage door open.


The rumble of it moving along its track. The crunch of tires on concrete. The engine cutting off, the sudden silence that followed. The door opening and closing, footsteps in the mudroom.


The dogs started barking—excited, welcoming barks, the sound of nails clicking on tile.


I heard his voice, low and calm, speaking to them. “Down. Down. Good girl. Good boy.”


The barking subsided.


Footsteps on the stairs.


My heart was pounding so hard I could feel it in my temples, in the pulse points of my wrists. I kept my face pressed to the sheet, my eyes closed, my body trembling.


He walked into the bedroom.


I heard the rustle of fabric as he moved. I couldn’t help myself—I turned my head, just slightly, just enough to see over my shoulder.


He was standing by the dresser, his back to me, shrugging off his suit jacket. The fabric was dark charcoal, the cut expensive, the shoulders broad and perfect. He hung it on the back of the door hook with a coat hanger, over my folded clothes, and then he turned.


The white dress shirt was crisp, the sleeves still buttoned at the cuffs. His tie was dark blue, patterned with small silver dots. He looked like he’d just stepped out of a boardroom, like he’d spent the day making decisions that mattered, commanding rooms full of people who answered to him.


And now he was home.


He caught me looking.


I shuddered—a full-body tremor that started in my shoulders and ran all the way down to my toes. I turned my face back to the sheet, my breath coming in short, shallow gasps.


He took his time.


I heard him unbutton his cuffs. The soft sound of fabric sliding against skin as he rolled his sleeves up. Once. Twice. Three times, revealing the corded muscles of his forearms, the dark hair that dusted his skin.


He walked to the closet.


I heard the slide of the hangers, the familiar clink of metal against metal. Then the sound of leather being pulled free—his belt, the old one, dark and worn soft from years of use. He folded it in half, the leather creaking.


He walked to my side of the bed.


I didn’t look up. I kept my face pressed to the sheet, my hands gripping the fabric, my body braced for what was coming.


“Twenty-four strokes,” he said.


His voice was calm. Steady. The voice of a man who had already decided what needed to happen and was simply executing the plan.


“You don’t need to count. I want you to focus on staying in place.”


I nodded into the pillow.


The first stroke landed across the center of my bottom.


The sound was louder than the pain—a sharp crack that seemed to hang in the air. Then the fire bloomed, a line of concentrated heat that traveled from one cheek to the other, precise and devastating. I gasped, my fingers curling into the sheets, my legs kicking reflexively.


I stayed.


He moved to the other side. The second stroke landed an inch below the first, parallel and even. The belt found the tender flesh where my bottom met my thigh, and I screamed—a sharp, involuntary cry that tore out of my throat.


He moved back to the left. The third stroke landed an inch above the first.


“Good,” he said. “Stay.”


I stayed.


The rhythm was methodical. Left, right, left, right. Each stroke landed with the same precision, the same deliberate force. He was calibrating, adjusting, making sure each stripe fell exactly where he wanted it. The belt found every inch of my bottom, laying line after line across the canvas of my skin.


By the sixth stroke, I was crying.


Not the quiet tears of the first days, but the full-body sobs that shook my whole frame. The tears soaked into the pillowcase, leaving a dark stain beneath my cheek. My voice was already hoarse from screaming, but I couldn’t stop. The sounds came out of me like they had a life of their own.


“You’re doing so well,” he said. “Halfway there.”


The twelfth stroke landed across the center, directly over the first.


I screamed again, my voice cracking, my legs kicking against the mattress. The pillows held me steady, pressing into my stomach, keeping my hips lifted, keeping me exposed and vulnerable and completely at his mercy.


“Twelve more,” he said. “You can do this.”


The thirteenth stroke landed low, on the undercurve, the most tender part.


I sobbed. The sound was raw, broken, nothing like the composed woman who’d answered emails and read Ephesians just hours ago. I was reduced to this—a naked, crying thing, spread across a bed, taking the punishment I’d earned.


The fourteenth stroke landed on the opposite side, matching the thirteenth.


“Almost halfway through the second half,” he said. “You’re stronger than you know.”


The fifteenth. The sixteenth.


I was shaking so hard I could barely breathe. The welts from Monday and Tuesday were still there, still tender, and the new stripes landed directly across them, layering fresh fire on top of old. Every nerve in my body was screaming, every instinct telling me to move, to cover myself, to escape.


I stayed.


The seventeenth stroke landed across the center again, and I heard myself scream, felt myself buck against the pillows, felt the tears streaming down my face.


“Four more,” he said. “You’re almost there.”


The eighteenth. The nineteenth. The twentieth.


I was beyond words. Beyond thought. There was only the fire, and the rhythm, and the steady, grounding presence of his voice behind me. I didn’t know if I was saying anything, making any sounds at all. I had lost track of my body, of the room, of everything except the burning line of each stroke.


“Three more,” he said. “Deep breath.”


I sucked in air, ragged and wet.


The twenty-second stroke landed. The twenty-third.


“One more,” he said. His voice was softer now. “Last one. You’ve done so well. Take it for me.”


The twenty-fourth stroke landed.


It was the hardest of all. A perfect line of fire that seemed to split me in half, traveling from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet. I heard myself scream, felt myself go limp against the pillows, felt the last of my strength drain out of me.


The belt dropped next to me on the bed


His hands found my shoulders, turning me gently, gathering me into his arms. I collapsed against his chest, my body shaking, my face wet, my breath coming in ragged, hitching gasps. He held me tight, his hand stroking my hair, his voice a low murmur against my ear.


“I’ve got you. You did it. You took all of it. I’m so proud of you.”


The words washed over me like warm water. I pressed my face into his shirt, feeling the fabric grow damp with my tears, feeling his heart beating steady and strong beneath my cheek.


“Good girl,” he murmured. “My good girl. It’s over. It’s done.”


We stayed like that for a long time. Minutes. Maybe longer. I lost track. There was only the warmth of his arms, the steady rhythm of his breathing, the slow fade of the fire in my bottom from blinding heat to a deep, grounding ache.


“I love you,” I whispered, my voice barely audible.


“I know.” He kissed the top of my head. “I love you too.”


Eventually, he helped me sit up. My legs were unsteady, my bottom screaming with every movement. But I was calm. The crying had stopped, and in its place was a quiet, profound peace. The kind of peace that came from being fully seen, fully held, fully forgiven.


He stood and walked to the closet.


“Get dressed,” he said. “I want to see you in the dress.”


I slid off the bed, my feet finding the floor, my legs wobbling beneath me. The dress was hanging in the closet—a simple navy blue sheath, knee-length, with a modest neckline and short sleeves. I’d bought it months ago for a faculty dinner, and it had been hanging in the back of the closet ever since.


I pulled it over my head, the fabric cool against my heated skin. It fell into place, skimming my hips, settling just above my knees. No zipper, no buttons—just a clean, simple line.


He was watching me.


I turned to face him, and I saw something shift in his eyes. A softening. A warmth that spread through the room like light.


“You’re beautiful,” he said.


I smoothed the fabric over my hips. “I wanted to match you.”


He looked down at his suit pants, his white dress shirt, his bare forearms. A slow smile spread across his face.


“You do,” he said. “You match perfectly.”


He stepped forward and took my hand, his fingers interlacing with mine.


“Come on,” he said. “I’m starving.”


The drive to the Greek restaurant was short—ten minutes, winding through the back roads of our small town. I sat on the passenger seat, my bottom pressed against the leather, every bump in the road sending a fresh wave of heat through the welts.


I didn’t wince. I didn’t shift. I let the ache be what it was—a grounding presence, a reminder of what we’d done together, of what I’d endured and what he’d delivered.


He drove with one hand on the wheel, the other resting on the console between us. His fingers found mine, and we drove the rest of the way in comfortable silence, the sunset painting the sky in shades of orange and pink.


The restaurant was busy when we arrived—a Wednesday night crowd, families and couples and groups of friends filling the small tables. The owner’s wife spotted us immediately and waved us toward a corner booth, a quiet spot away from the bustle.


I slid onto the bench seat, careful with my bottom, and he sat across from me. The table was small, intimate, the space between us filled with the warm glow of the votive candle.


The owner’s wife brought us menus and a basket of warm pita bread. “The lamb platter?” she asked, her eyes twinkling.


He nodded. “And the spanakopita. Two plates.”


She scribbled and vanished.


I tore off a piece of pita and dipped it in the olive oil on the table. The bread was soft, warm, perfect.


“Thank you,” I said.


He looked up from his water glass. “For what?”


“For tonight. For the whole week. For not giving up on me.”


He reached across the table and took my hand. His thumb traced circles on my palm.


“I told you,” he said. “That’s not how this works. You hide, I find you. You run, I follow. You break, I hold the pieces. That’s the deal.”


I squeezed his fingers. “I know. I’m just... grateful.”


The food arrived—two plates piled high with tender lamb, rice pilaf, roasted vegetables, and a generous dollop of tzatziki. We ate slowly, savoring each bite, the conversation flowing easily between us.


We talked about his day—a difficult client, a successful negotiation, the satisfaction of closing a deal he’d been working on for weeks. We talked about mine—the barn work, the emails, the hours spent in Ephesians. We talked about the girls, about their plans for the summer, about the college visits we needed to schedule for the oldest.


Normal things. The kind of conversation that filled a quiet Wednesday evening.


But underneath the normalcy was something else. A current. A connection. The knowledge that we’d done something hard together, and we’d come through it stronger.


He paid the bill and helped me out of the booth, his hand on my lower back, guiding me toward the door.


“Ready to go home?” he asked.


I looked up at him, at this man who had spanked me with a belt and then taken me out for lamb, who had reduced me to sobs and then held me through the shaking, who had seen every broken, hidden part of me and loved me anyway.


“Ready,” I said.


He kissed my forehead, right there in the parking lot, with the streetlights casting their yellow glow and the evening breeze rustling through the trees.


“Good,” he said. “Let’s go home.”


Comments

  1. Single Guy

    Greek food is a punishment in itself lol why?

    Somebody needs to come to Louisiana and eat real food

    ReplyDelete
  2. Single Guy
    😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cajun food would be a reward (:

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Caning 3/8/2024

Spanking 4/18/2025

Car Registration