The Day I Finally Told Him
The Day I Finally Told Him
Monday 20 July 2026
Monday morning started like any other morning, but I knew it wasn't going to end like one.
The girls left at 8:00 that morning for STEM camp. They wouldn't be home until Friday afternoon, which meant that for the first time in a long while, the house would be quiet. No kids coming in and out. No interruptions. No reason to put off what I knew I needed to do.
I had spent so much time being afraid of telling my husband about my blogs. I was afraid of what he would think. Afraid he would be angry. Afraid he would feel betrayed. Afraid that once I told him the truth, everything between us would change.
But I also knew that keeping something this important from him was wrong.
So, around noon, I finally did it.
I sat down with my husband and read him the confession I had written. I had put everything into that letter—how the blogs had started, how they had grown, why I had kept them secret, and, most importantly, how sorry I was for keeping such a significant part of my life hidden from the man who should have been the person I trusted most.
Reading those words out loud was one of the hardest things I have ever done.
When I finished, he didn't immediately respond.
Instead, he went into the study.
And then I waited.
For about five hours, he was there alone.
I knew he was looking at things on his computer. I knew he was reading my words and trying to understand what I had done and why I had done it. At times, I knew he was looking at his Bible.
Those five hours felt incredibly long.
I had no idea what was going through his mind. I didn't know if he was angry, hurt, disappointed, or all three. I didn't know what our future was going to look like or what he was going to say when he finally came out of that room.
I spent those hours sitting with the consequences of my choices.
I had wanted to confess because I knew the truth needed to come into the light. But now that it was out in the open, I had to face the reality of what I had done.
Around 5:00, he finally came out of the study.
My heart immediately started pounding.
He came into the kitchen and told me to sit at the dining room table. He joined me, and I knew from the look on his face that this was the conversation I had been waiting—and dreading—to have all day.
He started to lecture me.
And it wasn't the kind of lecture I could simply sit through and forget.
He talked about trust.
He talked about the bond between a husband and wife.
He talked about what it means to be married—to truly be married—and how keeping something this important from him had affected that bond.
I cried.
There were things he said that were incredibly hard to hear because they forced me to look at my choices from his perspective instead of my own.
Then he asked me something that broke my heart.
"Lisa, why do you think I am a monster?"
I didn't have a good answer.
He continued.
"It's like you don't know me at all. Haven't I proven to you that I would have listened and supported you?"
That question stayed with me.
Because he was right.
I had spent so much time being afraid of what might happen if I told him that I had never stopped to really consider who I was keeping this from.
I wasn't hiding this from a stranger.
I was hiding it from my husband.
The man who had stood beside me through some of the hardest moments of my life. The man who had loved me, supported me, and walked through more with me than I could ever put into words.
I had been so focused on my fear of his reaction that I had forgotten to trust the man himself.
And that hurt.
After the lecture came the checklist.
He had me go through everything with him, making sure that we addressed the practical issues surrounding the blogs and our family. There was no room for me to minimize anything or gloss over the details. I had to face what I had done and take responsibility for it.
Then came the writing assignment.
He gave me an assignment about respect, trust, and not keeping things from him. He wanted me to think deeply about what I had done, why I had done it, and what it meant for our marriage. He also wanted me to include Scripture because, for both of us, our marriage isn't just about the two of us. Our faith has to be at the center of it.
By that point, I was emotionally exhausted.
But the day wasn't over yet.
When he was finished talking to me, I was brought upstairs.
I knew that whatever happened next, Monday had changed something between us.
The secret was finally out.
There was no going back to the way things had been.
And as painful and frightening as that was, there was also a strange sense of relief.
For the first time, my husband knew the whole truth.
Now I had to trust him.
And, perhaps more importantly, I had to learn to trust the man I had been so afraid to disappoint.
He stood and walked around the table. His hand found the back of my neck, warm and heavy, his fingers pressing into the muscle just below my skull.
"Come upstairs."
I followed.
The bedroom was dim, the curtains drawn against the afternoon sun. He pulled back the duvet and arranged the pillows—two of them, stacked at the center of the mattress, forming a slope.
"Undress."
My fingers found the hem of my shirt. I pulled it over my head. My shorts followed, then my bra, then my panties. I stood naked in the quiet room, the air cool against my skin.
"Across the bed. Waist over the pillows."
I climbed onto the mattress, positioning myself. The pillows pressed into my stomach, lifting my hips, arching my back. My face was turned to the side, my cheek against the cool sheet. My hands gripped the fabric on either side of my head.
I heard him open the closet.
The belt was old—leather, dark with age, worn soft from years of use. I knew every inch of it. The brass buckle that caught the light. The holes that had stretched with time. The way it whistled through the air before it landed.
He walked to my left side.
The belt tapped against my bottom once. A warning. A promise.
"This is because you kept something from me. Not because of what you wrote. Do you understand?"
"Yes." My voice was muffled by the sheet. I grabbed a pillow and pulled it to my face.
"This is going to hurt. It's meant to hurt. I want you to remember it."
I nodded into the pillow.
The first stroke landed across the center of my bottom.
The sound was louder than the pain—a sharp crack that seemed to hang in the air. Then the fire bloomed. A line of heat across both cheeks, precise and devastating. I gasped, my fingers curling into the sheets.
He moved to my right side.
The second stroke landed an inch below the first. Parallel. Even. He was calibrating, adjusting, making sure the stripes would be uniform.
I screamed. The sound tore out of me, raw and involuntary, my legs kicking against the mattress.
He moved to my left side.
The third stroke landed an inch above the first. The three lines formed a ladder of fire across my bottom, each one distinct, each one burning.
"Ahhhhhhhh please." The word came out as a sob.
He moved to the left. The belt whistled. The fourth stroke landed just below the first, filling the gap, and I counted through the scream.
"Ohhhh" I was crying now, the tears soaking into the sheet beneath my cheek.
He moved to the right. The fifth stroke landed precisely parallel to the fourth.
He moved to the left. The sixth stroke landed near the top of my bottom, where the curve met the small of my back.
I was sobbing openly, my voice breaking on each number. But I stayed in place. The pillows held me steady. My hands stayed anchored in the sheets. Every instinct screamed at me to move, to cover myself, to escape, and I fought them all.
He moved to the right. The seventh stroke landed low, where my bottom met my thigh.
Despite my screaming, he said, "Good girl." His voice was steady. "You're doing so well."
He moved to the left. The eighth stroke landed an inch above the seventh, filling the final gap.
He moved to the right. The ninth stroke landed on the undercurve, the most tender part.
He moved to the center and stood behind me.
"Three more. Deep breaths."
I heard the belt whistle. Braced.
The tenth stroke landed directly across the middle of all the others, like a seam stitching them together. I screamed until my throat was raw.
The eleventh stroke landed just above it.
The twelfth stroke landed just below.
The belt clattered to the floor.
I lay across the bed, my body shaking, my bottom a field of fire. Each stripe was a separate sun, pulsing with its own heat. I couldn't move. Could barely breathe.
His hand landed on my lower back, gentle now. He rubbed slow circles across the sweaty skin.
"Stay there."
He left the room. I heard water running in the bathroom. Then footsteps returning. A cool, damp cloth settled across my bottom, and I whimpered at the contrast—cold against fire.
He sat on the edge of the bed beside me.
"You did so well." His hand stroked my hair. "I know that was hard."
I turned my face toward him, my cheeks wet, my eyes swollen. "I'm sorry."
"I know." He leaned down and kissed my forehead. "I know you are."
Next Saturday will be what happened Tuesday
Lisa, despite the upheaval of your husband’s feelings and duties as head of household, he still showed love and tenderness. He is a very special man. You are blessed to have a man in your life who loves you the way he does. With such love, both of you with God will be able to work through this situation. Please thank your husband for allowing you to continue your blogs. You have helped me through some tough months. Love to you, Lady in Red
ReplyDeleteLady in Red,
DeleteI am really blessed. Yesterday we had a long talk after work and I feel truly forgiven.
I have told him that the community thanks him. Several people have told me to thank him. He is going to get a big head. Ha ha ha. I am kidding.
Love you too.
-Lisa